Friday, August 28, 2009

Sweet songs

I don't have any pictures to show this sweet moment Mckayla and I had tonight, but I will describe it to you the best I can. Mckayla LOVES her ABC's and spells out any words she sees, whether it is on our shirts, the boxes of food, or of course in her books. She amazes me daily with how much she is learning and how quickly. She also loves the song Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star; but what kid doesn't :) Another song she loves is one she has heard since the first days of her life; You are my Sunshine. I only know a small bit of it, but I have sung it over and over to her countless numbers of time in her lifetime. I have heard her "sing" her ABC's and Twinkle, Twinkle, but tonight was the first one-on-one quiet bedtime singing we had together. First of all let me start out by saying she skipped a nap today and it was WAY too late for her to be awake so she was throwing some monsterous fits if any tiny thing didn't go her way. I was trying to rock her and calm her down with just the nightlight on in the room for bedtime but she was really wailing. I distracted her with a Care Bear book but since it was too dark to read, I convinced her the Care Bears had to go nite-nite and that we could sing songs together. So she sat facing me in my lap and we proceeded to sing our favorite songs together. I didn't realize she knew You are my Sunshine so well but she knew chimed in with a few of the words and at just the right moments...
(capitalized parts are the parts she said clearly, the rest she just mumbled through)

You are my sunSHINE
my only sunSHINE
you make me hapPY
when skies are GREY
you'll never know DEAR
HOW much I love YOU
PLEASE don't take my sunSHINE awAY

This may not seem like much to anyone else but this was such a sweet moment for us to be cuddling and really singing songs TOGETHER. I wanted to cry it was so sweet! After a few times of singing all her favorite songs, she layed down on me and fell asleep to me telling her the story of the 3 little pigs :)

5 comments:

Mimi said...

I would have given anything to peek in on that moment, oh to be a fly on the wall. You will remember that moment forever. Aren't your children the greatest blessing?

Wendi Klinghamer said...

Oh how sweet!!! Emily's new favorite song is Miley Cyrus's 'The Climb'. It's a slow song and very melodic. She always wants me to play it when we are in the car. She's always in the back singing the words she knows. It's so funny when she thinks a word is something else and she'll sing the word she thinks it is. (If that made sense.)

Lacey McKay said...

Oh I love this post! I can just picture the two of you in the near darkness, singing softly together. So sweet!

Abbey and I started singing songs together at bedtime just before her second birthday. We usually read books, but Anna and Ty visited and they sang songs together and we joined them for the two or three nights they were here. Then we did it for a while after they left. It was fun! Our favorite was "Mommy Loves You" to the tune of "Jesus Loves Me". Anna made up the words and I thought it was cute and I have a voice clip of Abbey singing it on Brian's iphone. Just wait until she sings the Happy Birthday song to you! That's when my heart really melted! Actually, the first time she ever sang it was for Mckayla, then me!

I also love the last line of the post. It's a whole post about a song, and then a one-liner about the three little pigs. It was just cute how you threw that in at the last second.

I miss that little munchkin! She never lets me snuggle on her like I want to. She's so willing to share her hugs with Abbey, but she never has one for her Aunt Lacey! What's that about? I'm not even sure if she knows who I am. We need to hang out more often! When are you coming to see us? Maybe I need to start bringing her little surprises like the grandparents always do! I can win her love with treats! Hee! Hee! That's what aunts are good for right? :)

Lacey McKay said...

Oh, and I will also NEVER forget the day you sang that song to Abbey when she was a tiny baby! She was three months old and we were at Pam's house for Thanksgiving and Abbey was fussy and nothing was making her happy, so you took her from me and started singing that song to her and she immediately stopped crying and her eyes got wide and she watched you quietly for a long time. I believe I have it on video!

The Brack's said...

I remember that day with Abbey too :) And I thought we were planning on coming one of the days from September 16-18? We should go to the aquarium too! We've really been wanting to do that.